01 May 2012

Student Elections

I was reading in the local newspaper a couple days ago (unfortunately I didn't keep it so I will speak in fake political parties so I do not get names incorrect. They will be the Bold party and the Balloon party) The article most surprising to me concerned student elections at local universities. Four universities had primarily Bold party members in their student governments, but during recent elections the Balloon party took over the student government of these four universities. Using this as precedence, members of the national legislature were encouraging the prime minister to change one of his advisors, a member of the Bold party, to a member of the Balloon party.

AMAZING!!! Seriously, I have such a hard time accepting the fulness of this. Imagine this. American universities give actual meaning to student governments by having students choose an actual party to represent. While in office those students are able to discuss and suggest policies to their party. While they will not enforce political policy on the university, they will use their party's resources to run. The results of elections will be compiled across the country to inform politicians of the future of American politics. Because students will be the majority of future voters (I realize they do not represent all of America, but they are a very important group for policy makers) current politicians can see what issues will become pivotal and what parties will be favored in a few years. This could change American politics and give a stronger voice to students. If students feel important then they will become more involved. Also, it can end the mass dissatisfaction with student governments if treated respectfully.

I would love this idea. I do not know how to introduce it in such a large nation. But I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment