30 April 2012

Alcoholics and Indians

First a story. I saw Indians in Jerusalem. They were singing and carry a cross along the Via Dolorosa. Fascinating. They wore what I would consider to be traditional Hindu clothing. I never would have expected to see such a sight in my life.

On the Sabbath we discussed part of Mosiah in Sunday School.  My family did wonders for me. I've learned so much from all of them. A few lessons had to be taught to me by friends. I am often amazed by the lessons I had to learn from friends either because my family didn't teach them or I refused to learn specific lessons from my family. In Mosiah chapter 4 verses 17 and 18 it says, "Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—but I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God." This makes me think of alcoholics and drug addicts mostly.

Growing up I was shown that it was okay to give a stranger food but not money. This was logical because giving food ensured feeding someone, helping them, but money could allow someone to commit evil, to further their addictions and sins. That is honestly not what this verse teaches. Specifically what stood out to me this weekend was "nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer." It is a double negative. So if you do not give to someone in order to prevent their suffering you are still in the wrong. Even if you assume they are going to use your gift to shoot up you should still give. That is hard for me to accept because I wish no evil on anyone. It is hard because I was never shown how to give so freely without caring about the consequence.

That is one of many reasons I love Claire so much. So was the first person I knew who could give money without any expectation. We were driving out of Safeway one bright, sunny day and a man was asking for money by the bank. We were stopped behind a couple cars. She handed me a few dollars and asked me to give it to the man. I was shocked. This was not something I was raised to do. But I did it for her. We talked about it a bit later. This darling showed me in simplicity how peaceful it is to give without expectation, to not let my right hand know what my left hand is doing.

One day in Sacramento I was filling my car with gas and a young man came up to me asking for anything. I had some coins in my pocket from buying lunch so I gave it to him. No second thought or doubt. A man approached me afterwards and told me what an evil thing I had just done. He informed me that I was damaging that young man in multiple ways by making him dependent on charity and drugs. I had not real response. I just felt like I had done the right thing. I saw the same young man asking for money many times after that and gave what I had to give. It always felt alright.

In reflecting I think my reasons follow as such. I could never be sure what the young man used the money for. He stayed alive for at least the several months I lived near him so some of it must have gone for his sustenance. If he stays alive then time improves his opportunities to change. That means a lot because I can think of plenty of reasons I should have been put down already. Miracles and medicine have enabled me to change and improve myself so I'm worth living. I guess that is one reason I believe there is a God and try to follow Christ. I know someone is watching out for me and wants me to improve. I'm really thankful to that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment