03 May 2012

Flawless or Perfect?

Yesterday I could have told you what sparked this thought but not today. I do not remember.

Yesterday I had a falafel. It was glorious. A bit of crunch before the soft center with sauce and french fries (I do not know why it had french fries but I could not complain) within a pita. Delightful. I also went to the Pools of Bethesda. Not the most spectacular place, but still very beautiful. The architecture is quite lovely. The church was the best part. According to legend, it is the birthplace of Mary the mother of Jesus. As I toured the interior a group of French tourists began singing hymns. If you have never sung in a stone cathedral before then change. It is a spectacular event. Even if you do not think you can sing well, get a group together and chant or sing some song of praise. It is a powerful moment.

Flawless and perfect are not the same adjectives. My explanation is simple, but I feel the main purpose of this is to encourage you to use your words correctly, especially when describing yourself and God. To be flawless is to be without flaw but to be perfect is to fit your role completely. One is upon the hands of the creator and the other deals with purpose.

A table can be carved and assembled flawlessly but might not be perfect for a room (for reasons of style or fit or whatever). A puppy, full of dirty and staining flaws, might be the perfect gift for a child. It is difficult to create something flawlessly. It is almost impossible to create a flawless organism. And chances are that the creature will create flaws in itself. I figure that is where I fit. I may have been created flawlessly but my choices have flawed me. To create something perfect is a might be even more difficult. Again, easier with inert objects. Measurements, drawers, mirrors, and gadgets define a perfect vanity. A vanity might only be perfect for a specific situation though. Creatures, people especially, can change and apply to multiple situations, becoming more perfected than a simple construct because their perfection applies more often. Flawlessness is determined by creator and defined by critics. Perfection is determined and defined by the user.

So how could I become flawless? First, I would have to choose to be flawless, because I'm my own critic. Then I would have to choose whose opinions define my value. Then I would have to be recreated. And I do not think it could stop with a physical recreation. Though I imagine it takes a lot of time to reorganize a mind and redefine a soul.

How could I become perfect? I would have to be used and determine who can use me. Then I would have to fulfill their needs. Wow. That seems like a lot actually. To be applied in the correct and best way for any given situation would be complete perfection. I can think of tiny, short-lived perfections I've enjoyed in my own life and in other's. I have said exactly the right thing at the right time. It felt like my entire life had built up to that moment so I would be the right person in the right place with the right relationship with a single person. Twenty-two years for one perfect sentence. Ridiculous.

So how does God do it? Can I mean flawless and perfect while saying "it?" I do not know the answer to either question. To be honest, I sometimes imagine a God with flaws so I can relate. My finite stature and sight leads in that direction. And for God to have enough experience and understanding to be completely perfect seems outrageous. I fully accept that none other understands me as well as my creator. But life is so complicated. How could one person be the right person every time? Then I ask if Jesus Christ is the right person for everyone. I honestly think that He can be, but most people need to be prepared for that though. I needed preparation before I enjoyed curry. I genuinely think curry is the most delicious food and that everyone can like curry, but your mouth and stomach (and intestines) must be prepared for the experience.

Remember, perfection is defined by the user. The user must feel something is perfect for it to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment