10 August 2012

Jerusalem, I won't forget you

Strong emotions run through these veins. Maybe they come from the remnants of my exhaustion. Maybe I miss the people. Maybe it is the Civil War era cannon I can see behind my computer in the library. I hope that stages the level of internal confusion.

I miss dancing, people, food, classes, the color green, swimming, Natalie, Spiritual Sunday Cinema, attending church on Sunday (even though I still think Saturday is a better day for it), music, family, Prescott, mountains, shorts, and many much things. But the problem is I'll always be missing things I suppose. I miss the Dome of the Rock, the call to prayer, trash in the streets, buffets at every meal, classes on religion that I enjoy and satisfy my need to think as part of my study, a new group of people, knowing that every street holds a historically significant place, falafel, missing things in the states, exploring one of the most fascinating places I'll ever live (seriously, the center we lived at has more secrets than I could hope to find in three months), and having unique adventures every day.

Getting to Provo involved 46 hours awake and 31 hours traveling. Which was actually 6 hours more than it had to be, but I might have gotten myself lost between Salt Lake City and Provo. This morning I woke up at 4 am. My first thoughts were, "It's dark. Too dark. I'm not where I think I am. I'm not in Jerusalem. Where am I? Oh yeah, I'm at the Moore's :) (I wasn't thinking in emoticons, but I did smile). You know this room. Map it out. Alright. What time is it? 4 am... You should say 'good morning' to Natalie. No, it is way too early. Yeah, too early. Go back to sleep." It has been a slow day. I've really needed to recover. But it was wonderful to walk around at noon and notice how cool 95 degrees feels after this summer.

Despite living in a city layered in Jewish history and caked with Christian sites, I think what I'll miss most are the morning and evening calls to prayer, seeing the Dome of the Rock any time I look out a window, and the green lights from minarets reminding me of The Great Gatsby (light on the docks) every night.

I love Jerusalem. I do not think I changed the city (as I hope someday to have a chance), but I know it changed me. It's like a love affair that I want to share with everyone. On that note, there are hundreds of stories to share if you would ever like to hear. As a warning though, give yourself time to listen if you dare/care to ask. Also, I'll love you more for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment