08 November 2011

Prayer

Sunday was magnificent.  Testimony meetings are so funny because everyone gets maybe a minute to share how they feel and it still goes over.  I really appreciate that about our bishop, I can see him watching the clock and worried about time but he never rushes or denies anyone.  And he is very perceptive.

One of the lessons was on prayer.  We talked about several of the scriptural stories that are great examples of prayer can and should be: Enos, Nephi, Alma, Paul, etc.  Then we heard an unconventional dialogue between a man praying and God's real-time responses.  It was good because of how accurate it was so often.  I received a neat realization.  When I give a blessing I ask the recipient what they want, what they need, what troubles they are having lately.  I ask the Lord to guide me in what to say.  I make sure I'm worthy.  I fast in preparation when I can.  I am solemn and take all the time I need.  Afterwards I usually try to talk to person about how they feel and if they have any questions.  When I receive a blessing I record what I'm supposed to do and what has been promised.

What is the difference between prayer and a blessing? The more I've thought about it the closer they seem.  I should be asking myself what I want and need.  I should be thinking over the previous day and the next several to see any trials occurring and mercies along the way.  I should ask the Lord to help me know what I need and how to express it in words.  Setting aside enough time really helps.  Afterwards, listen to how I feel, if I have any more questions, and if there is anything I still need to receive and digest.  Recording it afterwards is a really good idea too.

No comments:

Post a Comment